The SESEI’s mission is to enhance the visibility of European standardization activities, increase the cooperation between Indian and European standardization bodies and support European companies facing standardization related issues hampering market access to India.
The SESEI has the ambition to facilitate EU-India cooperation in standardization matters, as well as to support Regulatory Dialogue activities involving the European Commission and the Indian Government, in support of an increase of trade flows.
The project also supports India in standardization related aspects of its integration in the WTO trading system, by identifying all potential opportunities for enhanced international cooperation and global harmonization of standards. Ultimately, the SESEI project aims at reducing the Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) both between EU and India and globally, thus supporting European and Indian industries by facilitating international trade.
The specific tasks of the Project are as follows:
- Present a unified European voice in standardization in India;
- Promote the values of the European standardization system and the “New Approach” legislation in India and raise awareness on the advantages of European standards;
- Support the European Standards Organizations in their activities in India;
- Promote the cooperation between India and Europe in the field of standardization and conformity assessment policies;
- Arrange and participate in seminars and events related to European standardization;
- Ensure and enlist the support of European industry in its activities in India;
- Analyze developments in standardization in India and provide regular reports to the ESO Joint Presidents Group and the Steering Committee;
- Establish and maintain cooperation agreements with Indian partner organizations;
- Explore the market in India in order to identify new standardization needs and to find new possible sources of interest in standardization as well as new possible partners and to foster cooperation with their European counterparts;
- Use standardization related co-operation in order to foster bilateral and multilateral trade and economic policy with India;
- Establish and maintain close contacts with relevant Indian ministries and agencies.
Priority areas of focus identified for the SESEI project are as follows:
- Information and communication technology: M2M/IoT, Security, 5G, NFV/SDN…
- Electrical and electronic household products, Smart Grid, Smart Meter…
- Automotive: Connected Cars, ITS…
- Smart Cities
Keep Track: Other topics
- WTO-TBT and Market Access, IPR
- R&D and Innovation
- National Manufacturing Policy: Make in India
- EU-INDIA FTAs
- Environment (Energy Efficiency, Resource Efficiency & Circular Economy)